Friday, July 10, 2009

Fray, Kandara, Datoria and Reevle

I'll start with my favourite oldies from chat room rp. I came up with these characters between the ages of 10 and 15, so forgive the dodge. I have no excuse for later characters.

First up has got to be Fratia. This was my first ever character and I literally role played as her when I was a child playing games in my head. I didn't really put a face to her untill I was eleven or twelve when I fleshed her out to play in the yahoo chat rooms. She was quiet, but very curious and loved to just go right up to people and become their friend, like it or not. Almost everyone loved Fratia (or Fray) and I often wished I was more like her, teehee.

Brown eyes, brown hair, slight tan. I tried to make a character that was completely unremarkable to look at, and then tack wings on. The wings were the result of genetic/magic experiments and don't really work well for flying. But they throw a good punch.

I must have been into Sliders when I came up with her back story, because she's always hopping from reality to reality. She has a bunch of friends, namely Shannon and John, her surrogate big brother and sister, and a love interest whos name I could never decide on. He was John's little brother. There was another few including some of Shannons associates, John's boyfriend and a bunch more I can't remember.

It didn't occur to me to double check fantasy names on google when I was ten, so years later I found out that Fratia isn't that original...

Okay, new pic of Kandara here. I'm sure she never used to be quite so ugly, but you get the idea...
Kandara was my attempt at a bad guy. She was pretty hot except for the greenish colour and creeping vine things that plagued her bad skin... I wasn't going for the bad people are ugly idea so much as hot but disturbing one, but I guess she can be read either way :/ She was a bitch and liked to taunt people, but she was also weak as a kitten and a total coward. It was funny to freak people out in the chat games, knowing I couldn't do anything if they stood up against me. It was also interesting to see people feel sorry for Kandara. Her bad skin was a curse, and it was well deserved, but some people want to see good everywhere.
Datoria was my first chat room character. I took up roleplaying for drawing ideas and she was an artist. I often role played sitting in a corner doodling portraits. Sometimes I got requests and sent the portraits to other players.

One day I got a connection error booting me from the room over and over and the character developed itself. Suddenly she was a shapeshifter having trouble holding her form. Only she wasn't really the shifter, but the shape itself, so losing her form would be like dying. The artist in her was trying to create a unique self and appearance which is why drawing was interesting to her.

Reevle was born. Reevle came from Datoria's sub conscious, but concidered herself the real face behind the shifter. She was selfish, vain and very confident. The relationship between the two characters got interesting and I'd love to mock out an animation for them meeting some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment